Field Service Engineer – Semiconductor Industry
Field Service Engineer provides onsite field service support through the performance of installations, upgrades, repairs, and maintenance of complex capital equipment and systems. Troubleshoots either to resolve issues directly or through referring advanced issues to technical support resources. Acts as a customer service advocate, instructing customers in the operation and maintenance of the system.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyzes, diagnoses, and troubleshoots equipment problems via telephone or at customer site.
- Performs installation, repair, retrofits, upgrades and preventive maintenance on equipment installed at customer sites.
- Maintains an assigned installation equipment base. This includes providing primary support, forecasting, conducting customer support meetings, and ensuring regular communication with the customer.
- Assists customers in the receipt, installation, and testing of company equipment.
- Conducts equipment troubleshooting, analysis, and debugging in support of installation or operating activities.
- May provide service education to customer’s service and operations staff.
- Ensures that parts are available and as specified for service requirements.
- Maintains appropriate tools are on hand and as required.
- Travels as required for the purposes of performing service activities at customer sites or backfilling for other Field Service Engineers.
- Completes service, expense reports, and other administrative responsibilities in accordance with procedures and with supervisor’s approval.
- Uses company technical documentation and provides feedback for improvement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and electronic e-mail systems
- Ability to analyze data and report problems, to complete accurate, comprehensive service reports, and to communicate technical issues to other technical staff.
- Ability to collect, translate, and analyze data
- Excellent customer service skills, with a solid foundation in and an understanding of the importance of relationship building.
- Intermediate level of technical knowledge of electronics.
- Ability to facilitate resolution of technical challenges.
- Ability to apply advanced knowledge of installation, maintenance/repair, and troubleshooting at both the module and system level, while seeking expertise of more senior field service engineers where required.
- Ability to read and analyze opto-mechanical and electronic schematics.
- Must be able to successfully meet customer site access requirements such as: background checks, safety training, and cleanroom access (gowning and breathing apparatus).
- For regions – oral and written English and Spanish language skills preferred.
- General proficiency with tools, systems, and procedures required to accomplish the job. May need to consult with higher level staff members on some technical issues. Minimum of two (2) years of experience is required.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in optics, laser, and/or semiconductor manufacturing equipment experience is preferred.
- Laser and vacuum experience preferred.
- Has led one installation or significantly contributed to the successful installation of products at multiple sites.
- Requires experience using the following software packages: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, LabView, Internet.
- Protocol, and Computer Networking.